List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: NWI: metaphor needed?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-30 22:21:28

2009/6/30 Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl>:
> On Monday 29 June 2009 20:59:31 Dotan Cohen wrote:
>
>> > I reverse this question -- how any WM can guess that from three
>> > apps -- Konqueror, Kate, KMail, the first two are mentally
>> > connected atm (mentally = you work on the web page, Kate serves
>> > as an editor, Konqueror as a viewer) but not 15 minutes later?
>>
>> The same way that it happens with multiple desktops: it's how the
>> user arranges them. No?
>
> Yes, this was my point -- but in such case WM does not guess, WM is
> told by user.
>
>> Although I see this feature as basically duplicating multiple
>> desktops,
>
> No. I cannot simulate working with two apps together right now, so it
> is not a duplication.
>
>> if the devs
>> have the time and the want then go for it.
>
> I know what you mean, but you cannot tell person A "do this"...
>
>> http://kdehater.blogspot.com/
>
> I agree with points shown there (although not with all the hate -- you
> can prove the formula is wrong, but why to hate incorrect equation?),
> however:
>
> ... you can tell person A "be honest". "Quality". And so on.
>
> I doubt with such anger anyone will be convinced the taking care of
> quality is need. "Positive" blogs, like Jensen Harris's or Joel
> Spolsky, are better way -- at least you can learn something (a lot
> actually).

You should probably read the original Linux Hater. I won't link (I've
been asked not to) but he makes some very good points. It is no less a
positive blog than CoddingHorror or Spolsky's blog.

>> But they overlap enough to be
>> a duplication of effort in my opinion.
>
> I can say for myself -- I won't touch a theoretical solution for an
> imaginary problem. But NWI is a real solution to my problems (and I
> am able to contribute). Selfish?

Not at all! Most of FOSS is scratching one's own itch!

> Dostojewski said -- it would be better if people instead of saving
> whole mankind tried to save themselves. Instead of solving world
> problems tried to solve theirs. At the end they would save both
> mankind and themselves.
> (quote from memory, so forgive me inaccuracies)
>
>> That said, I have no
>> objection to NWI so long as I can not use it if I don't want it.
>
> If you don't touch NWI features (like creating containers) you won't
> spot a difference (except for few more options in SS).

I just fear that this will become another leg of KDE that will confuse
users by enabling another way to do 90% of what can already be done
two different ways. Mush better would be, in my opinion, to improve
one of the existing implementations (multiple workspaces or multiple
desktops) to suit your needs. But having said that, it surely is time
that I got off your case and let you go about your business! I have no
objections to the feature, mostly just questions and I probably let my
concerns be aired too freely. I apologize if I can off as against the
idea. My aim was more to understand the idea and to understand how it
differs from multiple workspaces or multiple desktops, which I now
understand for the most part.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com