List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Open recent, I meant "clear the list"?
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-30 11:51:07

> Let's focus on Konqueror.
>
> You are browsing sensitive-content pages, your wife comes in, and:

Like I said, this is not a boss-switch. It is meant for use _after_
you're done doing whoat you shouldn't be doing.

> a) you go to settings menu, clear private data, confirm
>
> b) you go, o *&& where it was, history, RMB, ok, clear the list, what
> else? maybe cookies? ok, settings, configure Konq. cookies, clear,
> what else, oh, edit box history, www.google.com, RMB on edit box,
> clear the list, .... safe!

Both. Have Konqueror able to cleam Konqueror-specific issues, and a
central place that clears all issues.

> The UI is for purpose -- if the purpose is clearing private meta-data,
> then the solution is to put it to the same place (not single, central
> place) in every app. So user could blindly go that place and clear
> the data, instead of wildly jumping from place to place and trying to
> figure out the internals of given app, what kind of data this app
> stores.

How about this in every app:
Tools -> Clear Private Data

And this in System Settings:
General -> Personal Settings -> Clear Private Data

>> > And permanent dataloss feature should ask for confirmation.
>>
>> So let's send the Documents History to the Trash as a psuedo-file.
>
> Not a bad idea, but it does not contradict adding confirmation dialog
> (as for deleting real files). Besides it also is good for UI --
> uniform behaviour --> no matter what, if you delete something, you
> are asked for confirmation.

So put a "do not ask again" checkbox on there. I also do not have
confirmation set for when I send things to the Trash, only on
non-Trash delete.

> I don't think so if we are talking about privacy. What really user did
> is moving metadata from app to trash. Now, she/he has to make another
> move -- clear the trash. But the trash is full of regular data, maybe
> something could be important.
>
> So now, either Trash has to come up with feature "clear private
> meta-data" or user has to empty whole trash.

Single items can be removed from the Trash.

> So with privacy in mind, I would really prefer that clearing privacy
> data works in shred mode. "Cleared, gone, I am safe".

That's pretty much "Empty Trash".

>> Users are used to
>> files remainin in the trash after deleting them, and know to empty
>> the trash to prevent the files' further access.
>
> True, but sensitive data in real world does not go to trash, but to
> shredder -- so such distinction should be made.

Dolphin's Delete key does not know if your OOo file is sensitive or
not. It know that you said that you want the info gone.

>> > It work in reverse too -- Joe Porn could by mistake launch porn
>> > site instead of clearing the list. So it is not good UI for such
>> > purpose.
>>
>> I have not seen the current implementation, but the Clear List
>> option should _not_ look like a regular menu item. Can someone post
>> a screenshot?
>
> http://www.imagebam.com/image/1e62de40647918
>
> By mistake = hand slips down/up.

So by that logic, there should be a "Do you really want to open this
document" confirmation when the user tries to open a recent document.

I do see the problem here, though. It would be too easy to hit a file
or the Clear List when one means the other. The solution, of course,
is to either ask for a confirmation or have a restore function. A
confirmation is ridiculous ("Do you really want to open this
document"), and the trash can may not be intuitive upon first use.

That said, I am for the Trash option. It could be used in other places
in the future, and I find confirmation dialogs a pain.

>> > In other words -- there is no reason to add "clear the list" to
>> > "open recent" except for false safety (i.e. it is workaround for
>> > missing real solutions). However, all regular users are paying
>> > the price.
>>
>> That is like arguing that browsers should not have a Remove Cookies
>> function, only the ability to enable or disable cookies.
>
> No, I didn't say such feature is useless, quite contrary, it is
> useful, but it is placed without thourough thinking.

So maybe it should be moved to Tools -> Clear Private Data

> So my idea now is as before with small polishing. For each app with
> possible-sensitive metadata, entry in the menu settings -- "clear
> sensitive data" (? label). Dialog shows up for confirmation. If there
> are several choices (as for konqueror) additional checkboxes are
> presented (like in firefox) what to clear exactly. By default all
> checkboxes are on.

Yes, Firefox behaves like this. I like it.

> This feature has of course configurable keyboard shortcut.

Naturally.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com