List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: stop kate from creating ~ backups by default
From:       Arnold Krille <kde () arnoldarts ! de>
Date:       2009-06-22 16:21:48

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

On Monday 22 June 2009 16:14:09 Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> As Dotan suggested it should be something like
> ~/.kde/backups
> however I think it would be good to add some PR to such design, and
> then ".kde" would make it no-go for other DE or non-KDE apps. Thus
> maybe
> ~/.Backups
> or
> ~/.Restore
> would be better to avoid attaching KDE label to design of this
> mechanism (so it could be widely adopted). Restore label because
> term "backups" is so meaningful and meaningless at the same time
> (used already in too many contexts).

Actually there is a long-term known way of doing this. Its simple and
effective: Add a ~-suffix to the old file and create a new when saving:-)

Honestly, while I understand that some newbies might get confused because
there are file spawning "like crazy", this way of creating backups is far more
convinient then what ms-office, ooffice and co are doing where you don't know
where the backups and automatic-saves are saved.
The only scenario where the automatic backup-files are kind of bad/superflous,
is when my data is already saved in the version control. But using one of
these is advanced enough to know where to disable automatic backups.

Another trick I do is set the backup-prefix to . so the files automaticly
created are hidden by default. Maybe this could be the solution to the
"problem" in kate/etc?

Arnold