List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Can we* prettyplease do something about the KUrlNavigator?
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-06-22 12:31:57

On Saturday 20 June 2009 19:35:11 Thomas Lübking wrote:

> > Solution: make empty space inactive.
>
> Problem: with the current layout there would be no easy or obvious
> way to enter the lineedit mode (as the button that leaves the mode
> isn't available) except a checkable rmb popupmenu item

But there should be a button. We should not fix broken design -- i.e.
adding workarounds to known solution does not any good.

> > It is not input area in breadcrumb mode (strange name if you ask
> > me ;-D).
>
> ratm it turns into one if you click into empty space,

I know but it is wrong -- principle of the least surprise. From design
POV it is not acceptable. UI is not minefield.

> And it's even a silly name, but i don#t know any other or better.
> If anyone has one, i'll buy it.

Nav. mode?

> I want the crumbs to visually rather behave like links.

Do I read you right -- you would like to show them as links but not
behave like links?

> So (back on topic) i'd really like to push the whole UrlNavigator
> towards a lineedit with integrated "click-to-change" functionality

Click what? Path "box" part? No. Separate switch button? Yes. No
guesses in UI.

> Therefore imho it would however be crucial to have this look
> different from "empty area with some text and a few triangles" and
> visually stress the input aspect to make it (easy) detectable

Somebody already wrote it, I repeat -- please show some even rough
mockups, so we can focus on actual elements, not on imagination. It
would make discussing easier, because we would be sure, we understand
each other.

Cheers,

PS. This thread is bouncing from usability to devel, so I no longer
know where to post it :-) Keeping single ML as you did when replying.