List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE/kdebase/apps/konqueror/src
From:       "Marcel Partap" <mpartap () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-06-20 23:33:03

> The current situation is pretty confusing IMHO, with
> Ctrl+D = duplicate tab, but Ctrl+N = new _window_,
> and Ctrl+Shift+D = duplicate window and Ctrl+Shift+N = new tab....
Well, if you talk about logical reasoning, i agree. But shouldn't shortcuts rather \
provide quick access to most used functionality? Another point would be consistency \
with other programs (in this case browsers) to minimize annoyance of migrating users. \
That's also why i changed the displayed shortcut for new-tab action to CTRL+T instead \
of CTRL+Shift+N... And with CTRL+D, every other browser adds a bookmark for the \
current site. The reason i committed the change in question really just was to limit \
probable annoyance until we have decided if that is what konqueror should do..

> If Ctrl+N / Ctrl+Shift+N are swapped then Shift takes the
> meaning of "bigger" (whole window instead of single tab),
> which makes sense for that key ("A is bigger than a", too ;)
IMHO, shortcuts need not necesserily make sense. Would the average user prefer \
logical validity above consistency with the app he is used to? Really don't know. \
regards, marcel.

--
GMX FreeDSL Komplettanschluss mit DSL 6.000 Flatrate und Telefonanschluss