List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Brand recognition of FOSS projects
From:       Dotan Cohen <dotancohen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-16 13:59:08

> Now that is a bit of an over-reaction imho. This has been pointed out
> already, and he apologized. I've made this mistake myself a couple of
> times, being entirely oblivious to what was going on. Don't see malice
> in what can be adequately explained by stupidity ;-)
>
> Everybody makes mistakes. His two other links didn't include this voting thing.

The problem is that the FLOSS community's perceived  known strength as
opposed to the proprietary community is security. The OP's actions,
whether intentional or accidental, destroy that perceived strength.
This is serious.

I believe that the OP had good intentions with his creation, really.
However, trust is a very big factor in FLOSS and it does not matter
whether or not the "error" was intentional. It destroys trust. Someone
who cannot be trusted (either because of mistakes or because of
malicious intent, it does not matter) should not be representing the
FLOSS community.

I suppose I could have been less hostile. I reiterate, however: write
hard-to-use FLOSS software, use ugly FLOSS logos, have terrible FLOSS
application names. But do not ever displace trust in the FLOSS
community. That is the only real asset that FLOSS has.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il