List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Brand recognition of FOSS projects
From:       Diego Moya <turingt () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-15 21:53:03

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I've upgraded the design to lighten it up, enhance the 3D effect and make it
look less like a badge:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=106948

I've also experimented with some color, although I'm not that good at it:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=106947

2009/6/15 Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad@users.sourceforge.net>:
> Please don't omit the "L" in "FLOSS".
Is that the actual common usage? I wondered which form should I use, but
I've seen FOSS more frequently at Slashdot (if that's valid as a reference).

Also "floss" is a word on its own, I don't want people thinking in cleaning
teeth when looking at this logo ;-)
Anyway, each project is somewhat expected to change the word and put its own
name there. There are some examples of this in the screenshots I posted.

2009/6/13 Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet@gmail.com>
> And this is the wrong mailinglist for something like this - I'd
> suggest kde-promo@kde.org or the kde artists mailinglist.
Maybe, maybe not. While KDE-artists will be a nice place to ask about the
overall design and its artistic qualities (and I'll post there soon),
dealing with expectations and reactions of users is within the field of
usability.

So I also want the insight about the potential users of this logo, how well
would it be received, and likely problems for its adoption (Maciej pointed
out how some people could find this movement towards eye candy as
"offensive" - I wouldn't have figured out that, specially because this
initiative is intended for user-conscious projects - i.e. primarily desktop
ones).

2009/6/14 Aurélien Gâteau <agateau@kde.org>

>                          ^^^^^^^^^
> Was that intentional or do you just vote good your own content?

Mostly accidental. I didn't mean to force you to promote the content. While
I _did_ vote it as good content, I was experimenting with the kde-looks
interface, didn't want it to go into the posted link.

Thanks all guys for the feedback.