List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-05-27 13:41:09

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 15:03:10 Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> So: when a user hits an unmapped button, display a passive popup
> which on clicking opens the configuration. Preferably in such a way
> the user can map the key right away and probably even associate it
> with an action.

Yes 100%.

> I think this would come up most when the user wants to configure a
> shortcut.

I doubt if we talk about multimedia keys, those are usually not
recognized.

> Say you want to configure the play/pause button on your
> keyboard. You open up the shortcuts dialog, select the play/pause
> action, hit the play/pause button. Which is unmapped. So what
> should happen now?

As you described above, notification saying "This key is not known to
the system. To use please configure it first". LMB to jump into
configuration.

Or in such case override the notification and embed the part for
mapping (for that key only) in the shortcut dialog.

Cheers,