List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-27 13:03:10

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM, Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 May 2009 13:36:58 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>
>> Either way, I read John's proposal not as 'every shortcut that's
>> not defined creates a popup dialog' but 'every unmapped key creates
>> a popup dialog'.
>
> Ok, now I get it, thank you :-)
>
>> John's proposal would solve that by allowing the user to map the
>> keys from a gui.
>
> Not entirely. I am all for easy configuring within GUI.
> Systemsettings -> Keyboard -> New way of dealing with unknown keys.
> Which can be done by choosing layout, pressing unknown keys, you name
> it.
>
>> I would love that:
>
> Me too (because I had to google and use xmodmap). But showing popup
> does not change the GUI setup -- it is another way to initiate
> configuring.
>
> If anything notification system should be used -- the reason for this
> is notifications can be globally configured and I hope we will get
> notification log soon. So this is less distracting and uniform. I am
> simply against interrupting user. User has work to do, and there are
> already enough distractions.

Of course. Actually I was going to add that to my mail but I forgot ;-)
This should obviously be a passive popup. And it seems there is
consensus on that.

So: when a user hits an unmapped button, display a passive popup which
on clicking opens the configuration. Preferably in such a way the user
can map the key right away and probably even associate it with an
action.

I think this would come up most when the user wants to configure a
shortcut. Say you want to configure the play/pause button on your
keyboard. You open up the shortcuts dialog, select the play/pause
action, hit the play/pause button. Which is unmapped. So what should
happen now?