List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-27 11:36:58

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl> wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 May 2009 12:27:02 Anne Wilson wrote:
>
>> > Sorry but that doesn't make sense. If the user doesn't hit
>> > unrecognized keys, then this feature isn't visible.
>>
>> Exactly.  So if you rarely hit such a key it is not going to annoy
>> you :-)
>
> Does really KDE has to be minefield? Currently I am safe with every
> mistake because nothing happens, so I don't care -- I have time to
> correct myself.
>
> But with proposed change it will be more "boo, you missed F8".
>
>> > And if this has a "never again" checkbox, does this checkbox
>> > disable this feature completely, or just for the key that has
>> > been pressed to bring it up.
>>
>> Definitely for that key only.
>
> ? But if you hit another unmapped key, new question to answer?
>
> Do you want map alt+f12 now?
> Do you want to map ctrl+alf+shift+f3 now?
> Do you want...
>
> Did you try MS Office with Assistant on? It was the great lesson and
> users reaction to it shows us how they feel with forced decisions.
>
>> > The latter would mean its still highly annoying, especially when
>> > apps that usually map global shortcuts to the keys are not
>> > started (for example no browser open, so nothing maps the
>> > Forward/Backward buttons).
>>
>> Sorry, I don't understand what you are saying here.  Things like
>> forward and backward, volume up/down etc. are usually mapped in the
>> distros.
>
> Skip to the next track. No Amarok no mapped key.
>
> Do you want to map... ?
>
> Cheers,

I think you (and most others in this thread) don't get it. Or I don't get it ;-)

Either way, I read John's proposal not as 'every shortcut that's not
defined creates a popup dialog' but 'every unmapped key creates a
popup dialog'. There is a huge difference between those. An unmapped
key CAN NOT BE USED, period. It can not be used for a shortcut, it
simply does nothing and the user can't do anything about it until
he/she figures out how to use XEV and XMODMAP. Which sucks.

John's proposal would solve that by allowing the user to map the keys
from a gui. I would love that: I have 2 keys on my keyboard which
don't do anything, and I'm simply not going to use XEV and XMODMAP to
fix it - I've already spend a few hours on that and it doesn't work.
Screw it.

This would rock, and I think we should *ALL HAIL jOHN*