List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-05-27 9:43:51

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 27 May 2009 10:25:27 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > Yes, this is the case that I was thinking of.  I don't think it's
> > reasonable to just say that the user should fiddle with xmodmap
> > themselves.
>
> Uhm, but they have to, unless you write an X11 app like xev and know about
> all the various keycodes on all the various keyboards and how they relate
> to symbolic keys (like Xf86Play). So, IMHO its quite insane to start that,
> especially since X11 already knows about a wide range of keyboards and all
> it takes is a small entry in xorg.conf to set it up

I don't see how every possible keyboard can be provided for.  And even if it
were, the ability to set one's own shortcuts should be simply accessed.

> - this part can even be
> done by KDE via its keyboard configuration dialog (at least in KDE3, not
> sure wether that was ported to KDE4).

Have you tried setting a new keyboard binding in systemsettings?  It's easy to
alter an existing one.  I'm sure it must be possible to add a new one, but
I'm damned if I can find it.

Anne