List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Andreas Pakulat <apaku () gmx ! de>
Date:       2009-05-27 9:25:27

On 27.05.09 09:01:08, John Tapsell wrote:
> > Those are defined symbolic keys in X11 and as far as I recall most if
> > not all X11 keyboard layouts for multimedia-keyboards set those
> > apropriately. Hence all the user has to do is select the right keyboard
> > layout. So the only problem could be that there's no keyboard layout for
> > his specific keyboard and no other that works instead. But in that case
> > it seems most users either fall back to defining their own xkb-mapping
> > or start fiddling with xmodmap. Both of which should work if the user
> > translates the keycodes to the well-known X11 symbolic keys like
> > Xf86Play.
>
> Yes, this is the case that I was thinking of.  I don't think it's
> reasonable to just say that the user should fiddle with xmodmap
> themselves.

Uhm, but they have to, unless you write an X11 app like xev and know about
all the various keycodes on all the various keyboards and how they relate
to symbolic keys (like Xf86Play). So, IMHO its quite insane to start that,
especially since X11 already knows about a wide range of keyboards and all
it takes is a small entry in xorg.conf to set it up - this part can even be
done by KDE via its keyboard configuration dialog (at least in KDE3, not
sure wether that was ported to KDE4).

And actually, no, I don't expect people to fiddle with xmodmap (I never
did), I expect either X11 auto-detect my keyboard, or ask me which keyboard
I have allowing me to select from a list of keyboards. If someone doesn't
find his particular keyboard he should file a request with Xorg.

So, if we are at the point that hitting the play button on the keyboard
causes an X11 key event with symbolic key Xf86Play, then whatever
multimedia application I have running should start playing. And this is
easily achievable by that multimedia application because it can set a
default global shortcut to the Xf86Play symbol.

If no multimedia application is running, then nothing should happen. I
don't want a dialog every time I accidentally hit some non-text key that
could possibly be mapped to a global shortcut just because I forgot to
start amarok.

Andreas

--
Stay the curse.