List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Pressing unconfigured key
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-05-27 6:03:03

On Tuesday 26 May 2009 23:17:26 John Tapsell wrote:

>   I was discussing with mjansen about what should happen if you
> press a key that hasn't been configured.

Ignore it. User left it not configured.

>   I would like a dialog box to popup and say "Unrecognised key
> pressed" and let you chose what to map it to.  The idea being that
> you can easily setup multimedia keys.

How many times do you intend to configure those keys? I guess once.
But the popup dialog will appear _every_ time.

The reason itself is questionable, such keys have to mapped within X.

>   Would it just be annoying?

A lot. And we need an option to disable it, and probably by default,
so it does not make any sense.

It is also scary how pushing the nowadays systems are -- please do not
add another element to all questions user has already answer ("yes, I
want to quit", "no, do not show me ToD again", "no, don't remind me
again", ...).

Cheers,