List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Wallet notification
From:       Peter <gostelow () global ! co ! za>
Date:       2009-02-08 15:32:54

On Sunday 08 February 2009 11:34, Maciej Pilichowski wrote:
> On Sunday 08 February 2009 07:27:09 Peter wrote:
> > Well another option is to have the notice bring the app to the user
> > and then return it. All the user need do is click the notice and
> > enter the password,
>
> Notification should not be duplications of the other software. Besides
> popup is just another way of notifying the user.

To clarify, if a kate app needs a password, when the user clicks the notice,
it will bring _kate_ to the user, and let the user deal with _kate_ directly.
Once done, the notice will return _kate_. It merely handles notified apps for
the user, but does not duplicate the app's functionality. There is no popup,
both the user and notice deal with one and the same app. All it takes the
user is a click to make it happen.

This action is a suggested change to the password field in Michael Leupold's
kwallet notice. Clearly, Michael feels the need to help users enter the
password painlessly and easily. People have expressed concern over entering a
password in the notice, rather than the app itself.

He also says that, "The name of the application opening the wallet is known in
_most_ cases."

Which means the notice cannot always display the app name, so I don't think
the notice should display any name, but rather that "kwallet has been asked
to provide a password", or something similar.

Since kwallet has been alerted by an app, I assume it already has access to
the app, and can enable it to receive the password directly from the user.
This will achieve Michael's goal and satisfy paranoid users.

Peter