List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bouncing icon on app start
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-20 21:43:24

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 10:45 PM, James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj@acm.org> wrote:
> Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>>> In KDE 4.2 there's an adjustable timeout (default 30 seconds) in the
>>> Launch Feedback KCM. I can't recall if this was in previous versions,
>>> or not.
>>
>> It was. I've always put the bouncing cursor timeout to 15 secs (cuz it
>> starts to get annoying after half a minute :D) and I set the taskbar
>> notification to 45 sec so I know an app still tries to start. Maybe
>> it's an idea to change the defaults?
>>
> Wouldn't it be better if you didn't have to configure this?

Yeah, that's why I suggested to make the values I have set the defaults ;-)

Of course I would love to do that all through KDE, but I guess that
wouldn't be a great thing to do in terms of usability - after all,
what's usable for me doesn't have to be for others.
Neat example is dolphin - I enabled pretty much everything in the
dolphin configuration screen "general". I suggested to make those
things default to Peter Penz, and he quickly convinced me that would
indeed rock for more advanced users but many wouldn't know how to work
with those things!

Back on topic, if we can come up with a solution which works better
than the bouncing cursor & taskbar entry, that'd be great. Until there
is one, I would suggest changing the default times.