List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Keep the website or move to the wiki?
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () free ! fr>
Date:       2009-01-16 16:33:38

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> One of the problems with the KDE Usability website is that it is out of date.
> I haven't been able to get my SVN account to work (even after resetting it) so
> it has pretty much sat dormant since I updated the usability reports for last
> year.
>
> So.. if anyone has an SVN account and wants to help update the
> usability.kde.org site, let me know!

I can commit stuff if you want. I may be able to help you get your svn
account to work too :).

> Optionally, we can redirect usability.kde.org to the
> techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability page.  I like this option because it will
> be easier editing of project information and make it easier for more people to
> contribute to content.  I don't like this option because we lose control over
> navigation and search.

What do you mean with losing control over navigation?

> However, even though it is a wiki, it will still be governed by the project
> (that is, I reserve the right to update or remove content which lives under
> the /Projects/Usability section).
>
> What do you think?
> * Keep the website: usability.kde.org
> * Use the wiki: techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability

It's faster to contribute to a wiki because one does not need to hunt
for the svn file corresponding to the visible page.

One thing to take care with the wiki is voluntary defacement or just
plain user mistake. There should be a monitoring system to notify HIG
authors of changes.

Another advantage of the wiki is that it makes it possible to discuss
the page content through the "Discussion" tab.

My vote: wiki

Aurélien