List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Minimizing to System Tray (Was: Ctrl-Q vs. Ctrl-W vs. Alt-F4)
From:       "Jud Craft" <craftjml () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-16 3:02:37

I do see your point, and I wouldn't want to be dogmatically strict
with a window-centric-only taskbar:  that's why I prefer grouping if
possible.  I do think the trend points toward an eventual "App list"
as opposed to "top-level window list" though, and I suppose at that
point you reach OS X.  :)

Going on this, I can concede that it is a good idea for the sake of
consistency that Ctrl-W should close every window that does NOT result
in closing the application.

But the problem, then, is the one they faced all along!  Namely, what
do you do when applications approach this differently?  Kopete is the
pivotal example.  You can close the last visible window with Ctrl-W
yet the app is not closed, due to the tray icon.  And then other
programs don't have this persistence, so Ctrl-W can't be used to close
their last visible window.  By applying the same rule to all apps, we
have in fact made interaction with the apps different.

Here's the sad truth:  by applying Ctrl-W consistently *every* time
(which is a good thing!) based on Application behavior, we actually
end up being *inconsistent*...because the *behavior* is what is
inconsistent between the Apps.

And no amount of good consistently-applied window management can make
up for Apps that just freaking act differently when you close their
windows.

That's really what I think is the problem here.