List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ctrl-Q vs. Ctrl-W vs. Alt-F4
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2009-01-12 17:42:30

Markus wrote:
> Closing an app is no harm, because no data is lost (if there is a chance of
> losing data, the "Save document?" dialog pops up) and nobody runs apps from
> slow floppy drives.
>
> Why do you think that closing a Dolphin window with Ctrl-W is more harmful
> than closing a tab with Ctrl-W?

I use Ctrl-W because I am done with whatever I am working on and want to
work on something else. I don't want to have to restart the application;
that takes time and effort... and keep in mind that a significant
portion of that time is spent in the "effort" phase, i.e. digging the
app out of the menu or waiting on krunner, typing the name, making sure
you have the right app, etc., and then startup time on top of that.
Closing the current document is a LOT faster.

If I wanted to close the window I would close the window. If I wanted to
start something new WITHOUT closing what I was working on, I would just
do File->New / Ctrl-N. What do I do when neither of those is what I want?

>> There is nothing broken with ctrl+q or similar,
> It is and I showed it in my initial mail.
> How would you quit Amarok with a shortcut when, by your logic, Ctrl-Q should
> only close windows, not quit apps?

Does Amarok have more than one (main) window? I don't think we can apply
the same logic to apps where closing the window doesn't actually close
the window. (Ok, "close" is arguable here, but as far as I am concerned,
apps with exactly one main window - i.e. amarok, juk, kopete, etc. -
that don't quit but go hide in the systray when you "close" the window
only count as "hiding" the window. Especially as that may literally be
what they're doing, code-wise.)

In this case, Quit should obviously actually quit the application.
However this is really an abuse of close window not doing what it
"should" rather than an exception to how Quit works, IMO.

Actually, this could fall into the same "strongly session-based"
category as described in my previous mail.

--
Matthew
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how