List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: powerdevil changing the brightness level - default behaviour
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2009-01-11 8:57:37

On Saturday 10 January 2009 23:23:05 David Edmundson wrote:

> On Saturday 10 January 2009 21:25:57 Mike Arthur wrote:
> > I guess this is one of those cases where you should just use a
> > bit of common sense.
> >
> > I'd say always err on the side of preserving the user's battery
> > and just store a flag if they've manually decreased/increased
> > values to not change them when going to AC.
>
> Personally, I disagree. I turn the brightness up when I'm in a
> bright place and can't see the screen - I turn it down if I'm in a
> dark place and the screen is blinding me - it has nothing to do
> with with whether I'm low on battery power or whether I've finally
> got round to plugging in the charger.

There is no contradiction, as I stated -- user manually changes
brightness because of the batteries or because of working conditions
(sun light for example). So you just gave example of the latter case.

Example:
a) very sunny day, so you (David) increase brightness
b) then you unplug the notebook
c) then as Mike said it is better to even make a "mistake" (because
you cannot really tell what is the wish of the user) but in favor of
preserving batteries -- so brightness should be decreased to the
battery-mode level

Cheers,