List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Ctrl-Q vs. Ctrl-W vs. Alt-F4
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-09 17:03:06

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins@wp.pl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> Eli MacKenzie:
>> On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 10:21 AM, Maciej Pilichowski
> <bluedzins@wp.pl> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am strongly against this -- launching app is time consuming
>> > task, if you hit ctrl+w too many times, or by accident you have
>> > to rerun it again. If you meant closing the window, please press
>> > ctrl+q, not w.
>>
>> The Mac OS X behaviour that makes less objectionable is that
>> applications are NOT quit by closing all of their windows (with
>> some exceptions.) So if you've closed too many tabs and the window
>> gets closed, you don't incur the startup time again, you just have
>> to File->New Window.
>
> So it seems that in order to "fix" some shortcut now we should
> redesign how apps work.
> a) I don't think it is worth it
> b) I don't see any point in doing so

That's mean. The TP has a very good point and good arguments. He
analyses the situation and gives a bunch of examples of inconsistent
behaviour.

I think there should be a guide telling app developers how these
shortcuts should behave and we can then file bugreports or fix things.

I'm not saying it should be like on mac, windows or gnome or whatever,
just that there needs to be consistency. I'm not qualified to say HOW
it should work but that's why we have usability experts on this list.