List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: bouncing icon on app start
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () free ! fr>
Date:       2009-01-09 12:51:22

Jos Poortvliet wrote:

> I personally fully agree. How often do you see win users click a
> quickstart icon, then again because they had no feedback, and end up
> with two apps (or worse, a error message)? AND you see ppl click,
> wait, nothing happens, darn, wrong click. Another wasted 20+ seconds
> of their life... I'm no usability expert but I doubt disabling
> feedback would be a smart move.

Yes, disabling it by default is a bad idea IMHO. We "just" need a nicer
way to notify the user that his action has been taken into account.
Using the verb "notify" makes me think one could use... KNotify to do
so! Maybe that would be annoying, but I think it would be interesting to
give it a try.

> However, we might be able to find a better solution to provide
> feedback to the user. One way would be to save a screenshot of each
> app just before closing, and using that to provide immediate feedback:
> use a kwin animation to scale it in and keep it grey while the app
> starts or something. would be sexy, unique and effective. Would need
> some nutcrack to write it ;-)

Sounds a bit crazy :). Especially if the application does not look the
same way upon startup than when it last stopped. It could cause some
privacy issue too: imagine I start a browser and get a screenshot of
some embarrassing website shown for a few seconds...

Aurélien