List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to join the KDE Usability Team?
From:       Stephen Kelly <steveire () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-03 16:47:22

I'm going to try to push forward on this again. The issue of encouraging
users to file bugs for what they consider 'usability issues' is
contentious, so I'll leave that out of the page for now.

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> There is no motivation or purpose for a user to know what is in the HIG.
> For them to go in to it and learn the rules so they can report bugs would
> be the same as reading up on coding styleguide and  reviewing source code
> for incorrect uses of classes or lack of comments. At that point you are
> no longer a user but have taken on a different role,  either as a designer
> or a coder.

Right, and this page is about turning interested users into usability
designers. Starting off by finding HIG violations, then - I dunno, creating
use cases to clarify the purpose of existing applications and identifying
where those apps drop the ball, pointing people at the right books to read
to identify how to fix real usability issues, etc.

I've put the page on techbase as it is now anyway. Click the red links, or
change them if you can think of a better series of tutorials/things people
need to know to contribute usefully to this team.

http://techbase.kde.org/Paths/Usability

Cheers,

Steve.