List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: How to join the KDE Usability Team?
From:       Stephen Kelly <steveire () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-12-29 18:40:59

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> On Monday 29 December 2008 09:59:46 am Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In an effort to lower the barrier to entry for new and potential
>> contributors to KDE, I'm making a few techbase pages to guide people in
>> the process of becoming a contributor.
>>
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Contributor_Paths
>>
>> I want to get help here on finding what the steps are to become a
>> contributor to the usability of KDE. What are the entry points? Where are
>> the resources? What are the tasks? What is the easy stuff?
>
> Thanks for starting this.  The usability.kde.org website is terribly out
> of date and I've been debating on just asking it to redirect to
> techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability

Great, thanks for the response. I don't know enough about this stuff yet to
make this valuable.

> Just for reference, in my mind there are two types of contributors.
> Sometimes these can be the same people, but often they are separate
> people.
>
> One, as a developer who is interested in actively improving the usability
> of their/any application by making code changes, commiting them and
> releasing them.

Yes, this is something that would be covered in the 'Creating usable
applications' in the Developer path section.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.kde.devel.general/56132/

Also part of 'Creating usable applications' is using designer to make uis.
Easier for usability designers to work on that aspect.

From the Usability contributor path, we'd have a link to the same page. This
is also what I meant by 'Fixing usability issues in code' below.

> Two, as a design who is interested in (not exactly passively, but they are
> not a first party) improving the usability of any application by making
> recommendations of changes to developers.
>

>> My draft ideas are below
>>

>> *****************
>>
>> This page is for people who want to improve the usability of KDE.
>>
>> == Dive in ==
>> What is the HIG?
>> Reviewing KDE apps - What to look for.
> Reviewing would be extremely difficult to write guidelines for. The easy
> topics are HIG violations, but anything that doesn't have a written
> guideline for is
> always contested.  Unless you are quick with design theory or have a
> reputation, recommendations get shot down pretty quickly.
>
> I would suggest the following sections
>
> * What is the KDE4 HIG (purpose, goals, link to HIG)
> * Writing bugs for KDE HIG violations

Cool, that's a good starting point.

>> Using qt designer to fix usability issues.
> I don't know what you mean by this.  Qt designer doesn't fix usability
> issues, but using .ui files makes it easier for designers to assist
> developers with coding -- something usually inaccessible to designers.
> Designers who are comfortable with an IDE can go in to a .ui file and make
> the changes for the developer, and just need a review afterwards.
> Sometimes that saves a lot of time for minor changes like alignment and
> labelling.

Yes, that's what I mean. Using designer it's simple to fix alignment issues
etc with results that can be quickly seen with the form preview button, and
the resulting file or patch sent to a developer or mailing list. These are
fairly low hanging fruit.

>> Fixing usability issues in code.
> Same as above, also I think these are mostly HIG issues.
>
>> Use cases and scenarios
>> User research profiles.
>
> These two things go together.  I wish we had a more extensive
> description/tutorial written up somewhere.

Well, we can call that a gap and plan to fill it. I've been doing some
research on the use cases side of things recently.

>> == Resources ==
>> Seeles blog
>> HIG
>> openusability
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/Project_User_Research_Template
> Books
> Lots more beginner websites on UI and Usability

Got some examples or links to the good websites? Or choice picks of the most
relevant articles for certain aspects?

Thanks for helping,

Steve.