List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: System Settings as a Design Lesson
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2008-12-03 8:19:19

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 17:45:02 Rafael Fernández López wrote:

> Since discussing on a blog can be pretty uncomfortable, I am moving
> the discussion here...
>
> What I wonder now. So, from your point of view, Dolphin should also
> use this layout ? (the one you propose)

Adding some reference would be nice :-). Not everybody is aware
of "a blog", "you" or "this layout".

On Tuesday 02 December 2008 18:27:56 Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> Plasma is currently
> using and promoting the use of bold fonts to replace group boxes.
> We could consider making all headers larger than the default font
> size so it is double coded (size + weight) for normal default
> layouts and still single coded (size) when you make all of your
> text bold.
>
> Also, the border will just be on the top, not the bottom, so the
> header is still anchored to the border which will make it stand
> out.  The only difference is that the header will look like it
> belongs to the contents more than it does with the line separating
> it.

So now I know that my problems with visually grouping elements is not
an accident by it was designed that way. Were the some tests done?

For me it is much clearer when I see a box (top, bottom, left, right
edge) because, well, I see it. I don't have to focus on each box and
draw borders in my mind. When you have small screen and one-two
boxes, maybe it is OK, but with higher-res and more windows it
becomes more and more difficult.

One note -- the new boxes are more elegant, nice, but on
the other hand it takes me me more time to make visual grouping. And
I don't see any reason why user would have to do visual grouping when
it could be done at computer level and spare the user the effort.

Cheers,