List:       kde-usability
Subject:    System Settings as a Design Lesson
From:       Rafael =?utf-8?q?Fern=C3=A1ndez_L=C3=B3pez?= <ereslibre () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-12-02 16:45:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

Since discussing on a blog can be pretty uncomfortable, I am moving the
discussion here...

I am the culprit of this change.

The view is called "KCategorizedView" and the component which draws the
category is called "KCategoryDrawer".

This was ideally wrote for a general usage: but it had a specific aim at that
moment: Dolphin. Try to go to "View" menu and click on "Show in groups".

I have to say that yes, Mac OS X uses this idea, and there is a psychological
study behind, but from my PERSONAL point of view, I can only disagree with the
whole idea. I want to make it very clear that I can implement things that I
don't support if the majority of people agrees with it, but doesn't seem to be
the case.

That is talking about systemsettings that we know we have a certain number of
elements. Well, we know we won't have on systemsettings 5000 elements as we
perfectly could have on dolphin.

About what Celeste pointed out, I could agree a bit more (even in the
disagreeing rank) if she had painted each "category" alternating backgrounds
(as Mac OS X does).

Not even talking about Dolphin. For me the explanation followed has no
application at all in Dolphin.

Note that I am not a usability expert. I am talking from my personal opinion
as a developer and as a user. Note that I am open mind, I read, I understand
and I can change my opinion. Note that I can implement something I am
personally against [better said: that I don't support] if it benefits more
people that it "damages".

What I wonder now. So, from your point of view, Dolphin should also use this
layout ? (the one you propose)

Do you think that this will work that well when I set a bold font as my
default font ? It could seem so much a "whole block" that it could confuse,
IMHO.

Is strange to me too because I can see everywhere documents where the title
that "sums up" or "gives you an idea" of what contents follow usually are
underlined, or even underlined till the end of the paper (as done here, but on
a screen). Does this still apply on those cases ?

Please, please, please... don't take this message as "free" criticism. As I
said I am open to all ideas [I am even rewriting KCategorizedView because of
performance issues and I could take this in count, or for systemsettings
create a special view], and I am not wanting to do any kind of flamewar here. I
just want to learn.

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.