List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2 Toolbars
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2008-11-17 9:47:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 17 November 2008 04:44:21 James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I will simply state my opinion which is that I think that icons only are
> preferable as long as we have the tooltips to remind users what they are
> for.   I see this as a learning process with the tooltips as a learning
> aid.   It is best to design an interface so that it has a learning curve
> -- so it becomes easier and faster to use with learning.   This has
> always been a major criticism of the Mac interface -- that it doesn't
> work this way; making an interface the easiest for newbies is not always
> the best design.   With a lot of icons and icons only on the toolbars,
> you learn where they are and will access them quickly.

Logically, I agree.  Practically, sorry but I have to disagree.  My experience
of MLs over the last 6 months show me just how resistant to change people are.
From what I've seen people will walk away rather than change their fixed
ideas.

It's a sad state of affairs, but true.  What shocked me even more is that the
attitude is not confined to the over-70s - in fact the majority of whiners
I've seen have been from much younger age-groups, so it's not a declining
problem.

Since I presume that any decision will also relate to KDE on Windows, that is
even more likely to be the situation.

Anne