List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.2 Toolbars
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2008-11-17 4:26:27

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 14 November 2008 10:21:21 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
>> it's chosing between bad and horrible. A clean toolbar with only the
>> options that really matter helps many users.
>
> What 'really matters' will depend very much on the user.  When confronted with
> a new application familiarity is very important.  If editing is part of the
> function of an application, then yes, cut and paste icons should be there.
> They are expected.  Power users can remove them if they wish.
>
>> With text underneath as is
>> default in KDE 4, the toolbars need to be cleaned up compared to KDE 3. I
>> think that was a great move...
>
> In some applications they look good, in others, horrible.  And it's far from
> obvious how to do something about it.  The problem I had was over-large text
> in toolbar icons.  To me the logical place to change it would be in Configure
> Toolbars - wrong.  There are a number of such settings that are simply not
> where people logically expect to find them.

With the fonts, this is certainly true.  Although it is logical to have
a central place to set all fonts, this is only where users will look
when they are setting up the whole thing.  Fonts also need to be
accessible in other places.

However, if you set a font in an application or toolbar, should this be
global, or just for the application where you accessed it.  If global is
the only option then it needs to say that.  Per application might be
nice, in which case a check box to make it global should be available.

As I said elsewhere, a condensed/narrow font as the default for toolbars
would be good.  IIUC, FontConfig should be able to generate a narrow
font if one isn't installed -- FontConfig now accepts drop-in
configuration files so this should be simple.

--
JRT