List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Automatic completion mode
From:       Maciej Pilichowski <bluedzins () wp ! pl>
Date:       2008-11-16 15:47:44

> Rafael Fernández López:
> When a lineedit has been set with "automatic completion mode" when
> the user writes for instance "kons" it gets suggested "konsole".
> From this point I will refer to this as "kons#ole". Because the
> left chunk of word before the '#' was written by the user while the
> 'ole' on its right has been suggested by the completion mode (and
> this latter part is gray). (look at completion.png attachment).

What was wrong with KDE3 suggestion? It suggested a list of possible
endings but nothing was added automatically. The only thing missing
was that the first item was preselected as well.

> Ideas ? Opinions ? Suggestions ?

Don't add anything automatically instead of user at the end of the
line. Simply show the list and let the user choose.

The above is about suggestion itself.

There is another issue here -- how can you tell the difference between
suggested text and typed text. Color? So you have to provide color
for text, for selected text, for secure text (https in konqueror) and
for suggested text. And all those colors should match and be visible
for the user. What's more -- user is used to behaviour of the
selected text -- what is the behaviour of suggested text? If it
behaves exactly as selected text (and it is), then why introducing
yet another kind of text.

Next -- since UI should be consistent in all apps, but I hardly the
proposed behaviour usable in Kate.

  KDE suggestion list needs a bit of polishing, it is already
reliable, so I don't see any reason to come up with something
different especially with so many drawbacks.

Cheers,