List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RFC on some minor file dialog changes
From:       Aurélien_Gâteau <aurelien.gateau () free ! fr>
Date:       2008-08-27 22:51:30

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 August 2008, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>> - Mac OS X 10.5 file open dialog:
>> http://www.mariasguides.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/opendialog.jpg
>>
>> It's all a matter of taste, but I don't think the 10.5 layout looks
>> ugly. The place and list views are grouped together and you don't feel
>> like there is misalignment.
>
> they are doing a few subtle things here:
>
> * they have completely visualy separated out the toolbar from the rest of the
> dialog

This was what I suggested. Not blindly copying the mac os x dialog, but
finding some way to separate the toolbar from the rest.

> * the folder drop down is not actually used for navigation, but as a history
> and status type thing .. as such it really fits with search, etc

That is not true. The drop down contains entries for each part of the
current folder, and recent visited folders. So if you are in
/home/aseigo/some/dir, the drop down looks like this:

dir
some
aseigo
home
$(hostname)
-- history --
visited-dir1
visited-dir2

> * all the navigation control and information is in the folder view in the
> center. that means you don't have to reference the toolbar area above to know
> where you are, you just read left to right.

This is only the case in column-view mode. In list or icon views, you
can't go up unless you use the back/forward buttons or the folder drop-down.

Aurélien