List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Knotify configuration improvements
From:       Celeste Lyn Paul <celeste () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-21 13:38:12

One thing that stands out the most: please do not next tabs within other
elements, such a group boxes and lists.  It is very confusing and you are
losing a lot of space to borders and padding.  In KDE3 we tend to make
exceptions for this in certain places which works out OK some of the time
because of how it is designed.  But as a general rule, it is too easy to
abuse or misuse it.

From the looks of it, you just have a single config option for each tab.
Since you are already using an expandable widget, you could/should probably
just list all of the options there.  There is no need to futher obscure the
options from the user in another layer.  You won't be using much more
vertical space because you will be saving a lot from not using extra tabs,
borders, and padding.

As a side not, it seems like rich information list views are the new thing in
KDE4.  Fredrick might have to update his listview page
http://ktown.kde.org/~fredrik/listviews/.  In the mean time, I think rich
information lists could replace some of the contextual on-demand option
display we relied on in KDE3.  We are looking at lists this week for the HIG
SoU project and I will ask them to consider lists as a way of managing
options as well.  Rich information lists could be a good thing -- as long as
everyone does them in the same ways.  From a dev perspective, it would also
be good to have a single class to do RILs instead of the diverse mass of
classes that exist now.  It will be easier to maintain consistency and know
you are doing it the right way.  Plus, we wont have 10 people extending the
list in 10 different ways to do the same thing.

--
Celeste Lyn Paul
celeste@kde.org