List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Use of library names (Akonadi, Solid, Nepomuk,
From:       "Robert Knight" <robertknight () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-06-07 16:27:48

The discussion about names is a very well trodden one and I am not
interested in digging up the extensive debates of the past.

What I do want to emphasize is that it should be possible to perform
the tasks supported by something like Akonadi or Nepomuk without
needing to know what the daemon/library is called.

For example, if I want to backup or restore contact information, I
think it is not helpful if the tool to do that is called "Akonadi Tray
Utility".

> Something descriptive for Akonadi would have like 100 words, not a good idea.

If the purpose of an end-user tool requires 100 words to describe then
that reveals a somewhat more serious problem.  "Akonadi" itself can be
used for a lot of different things but there is no need for the
applications which use it to follow the underlying architecture.

Take the Backup and Restore of contact information for example.  You
could implement that in two ways:

- Create an "Akonadi tool" which does everything related to Akonadi,
one feature of which is backup and restore
- Create a "Backup tool" which helps users to backup/restore/migrate
all of their important information such as settings, personal
information and files.  The backup tool would use Akonadi to do the
PIM part of its remit and other libraries to deal with settings, files
etc.

The difference here is that the first approach is basically putting a
pretty dress on the implementation.  The second approach looks at the
problem from the users' perspective and groups functionality
accordingly.

Regards,
Robert.