List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User plea!
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-06-05 18:48:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 05 June 2008, Igor Schwarzmann wrote:
> I've been following this list for a while now, but mostly in
> a passive mode. Since you started talking about a topic
> ('PR')I actually really can contribute to, it's time for me to
> engage in some conversation. ,)

=)

> Well, first things first: I don't think that a passive mode in PR
> is really the way to go.

as Anne pointed out, this is an additional topic; but i agree that passive
information delivery isn't enough on its own.

> mainstream user, but first you have to show it to them and this
> is why you should to journalists and - that's maybe easier - to
> bloggers.

we have a private press channel mailing list that is highly effective. we
have't done a good job (or really put much of any effort into it) of contacting
and persuading the following categories:

* mainstream press (e.g. non-tech as well as status quo tech channels)
* the creative/culture blogosphere
* conferences that are out of the software band

> You need to find some ambassadors for KDE, who are
> outside of the inner circle of KDE. People like Cory Doctorow,

right, so now you're talking about making the transition into the early
majority stream of consciousness. Sebas, myself and a few others have
discussed this topic at some length, but more collaborators would be very
welcome.

in part we're waiting for 4.1 to come out so we can start revving the Be Free
campaign more effectly in leading up to 4.2...

on this tangent, what we really ought to be doing is getting materials
together under the Be Free banner (see e.g. Wade Olson's "inspirational"
posters) and a strategy (target list, communications plan) for breaking into
the three group i mention above.

if you are able/willing to help with this aspect of things, Igor, please join
us on kde-promo@kde.org and let's get started =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se