List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [Fwd: [kde-artists] Icons for: FitToPage, FitToWidth,
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-31 22:44:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 31 May 2008, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 29 May 2008, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> > and, therefore, the third should logically be named:
> >
> > 	zoom
> >
> > This results in a (possibly) valid issue that if an icon: "zoom-fit-*"
> > is not available that the icon loader will fall back to "zoom".
>
> which is why themes must simply provide a zoom-fit at minimum. the

never mind.

i just caught up with kde-core-devel mail finally and read about this issue
there where there was a pointer to this discussion:

	http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-artists&m=121062526701465&w=2

in the second mail, Jakob says:

"That's what my original idea (and even proposal for the ArtLibreSet) was as
well, but when thinking about this once more, it appears better to have an
icon that is not in the current theme but has an accurate metaphor, as opposed
to have a row of plain magnifier glasses that all look the same."

he then gives some pretty compelling reasons for that position, namely
that the zoom-* set of icons do not behave like many other such sets where
there is no generic concept that works for any of the given leaf-node icons.

James, if you would in future provide links to previous discussion on a matter
that would be awesome. =)

> > One proposed solution for this is to rename "viewmag" to "page-zoom".
> > This appears to be a poor choice since:
>
> i would agree.

to expand on this a bit: would it instead be possible to provide a
zoom-generic or zoom-glass or some other named icon? to at least keep it in
the generic zoom-* space?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se