List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: User plea!
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-31 21:58:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

this thread is ~100% off-topic for this mailing list.

On Tuesday 27 May 2008, Kevin Boyce wrote:
> I feel that some features have
> been forgotten at the expense of ease of implementation.

you are more than welcome to look over at just how easy the implementation of
things has been and assess the work done. i hope that such an assessment is
what your feeling is based on.

> Particular concerns are panel settings (currently I can only adjust the
> height).

you can adjust the alignment, width, height and screen edge as well.

> I miss being able to make it semi-transparent,

this is up to the plasma theme. i am, right now, using a translucent panel. i
have used one since before 4.0 even.

> and only consume 90% of the screen width, etc.

already done in svn.

> Also, I noticed that when adding
> new plasmoids to the panel, they always appear from the right.  The

you can also drag them to where you want from the add dialog, and eventually
we'll have little handles you drag around when the edit bar is up.

> Also, I miss the old style of Kontrol Center,

so many people missed it so much that exactly zero people have written the
couple hundred lines of code needed to make kcontrol functional in kde4. so
either the people who really missed it don't miss it that much or very few
people actually miss it.

> where there was much more hardware information available at the users
> fingertips.

kinfocenter is what you are looking for here, not kcontrol. note that the
kcontrol/kinfocenter split happened in 3.1. and yes, kinfocenter ships with
kde4 and looks better than ever.

> I realize that plasma has been designed to be highly flexible, so I hope
> to see further development which extends the usability beyond KDE3's
> capabilities.

i know you probably meant this to come across as supportive.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se