List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KUrlNavigator widget usability
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-05-26 4:54:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 25 May 2008, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
>    [<] [aurelien] [kdesvn] [kdelibs] [kdeui]

the whole point is to represent the abstractions that the user deems as
relevant and important, of course.

also, how would this deal with items not in $HOME? items under /media are the
norm these days, as just one obvious example where this then falls apart.

networked locations are even more verbose ...

> Basically the idea is that everything above the place would be hidden,
> but a [<] button would be added to reveal the hidden part.

this sounds sane; though i'm not sure about the icon suggested. that sounds
more like "back". perhaps up? or perhaps another > just before it that is
clickable and shows the hierarchy leading up to it?

note that in dolphi there is also the places folder at the start of the url
navigator which mitigates this quite a but.

> What do you think about this? I personally like the first solution
> better because it gives more context about where the user is,

that's kind of the whole point of naming a location though =) the assumption
that a literal path in the FS is more sensicle to the user than a name they
themselves give it is a bit odd ;)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se