List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Shortcuts displayed in tooltips
From:       timo.sinnemaki () helsinki ! fi
Date:       2008-05-18 19:46:48

Hi,

I'm interested in hearing your opinions on whether it would be sensible
for tooltips on widgets in kde applications to display a shortcut to the
action on the given widget. Some applications do this -- GIMP, for
example -- and although it looks slightly less clean, I think such a
feature makes it quite a bit easier to learn how to use a UI efficiently.
I don't really have vast experience in programming in general, nor C++ in
particular, but I'd still like to look into implementing the feature if
others agree that it would be a nice thing to have.

I've taken a quick look at the code, and unless I'm mistaken, all tooltips
in KDE are handled by the QToolTip class, so you can't reasonably make
this work globally without modifying/replacing all present references to
QToolTip and hoping developers won't mind switching to the new usage. (I
suppose redefining QToolTip with preprocessor macros would be too hairy?)

Cheers,
Timo Sinnemäki