List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Too many icons in Gwenview toolbar
From:       Michael Rudolph <michael.rudolph () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-22 18:54:26

On Friday 22 February 2008 18:33:37 Leo Savernik wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2008 schrieb Jos Poortvliet:
> > >  why not just use a snapping mechanism on the slider and let the
> > > 100% and whatever-fits-the-screen% mark act magnetically?
> > >
> > >  I'd favour such an approach since it afforded a rather natural
> > >  interaction with my content, but at the same time would
> > > incorporate the benefits of the digital age.
> >
> > An incredibly smart idea, imho. Maybe it is worth a try?
>
> Sarcasm, I hope. It translates a single-click operation into a
> click-drag-and-still-miss-by-50%-chance operation. No need to annoy
> users.
>

> mfg
> 	Leo

Hello Leo,

perhaps not all clicks are created equal, after all.

Counting clicks, measuring distances and other common man usability
methods are all nice and such, but one ought to not forget the ultimate
goal of creating usable software.

I don't even know what a user would miss-by-50%-chance. I deny the need
to enter exact zoom levels in a picture viewer like gwenview. The only
two sensible zoom levels, fit-to-window and original size, have already
been mentioned on the list by others and beyond that I don't think a
user is interested in what percentage of the original image size the
computer should scale the image.

michael