List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Too many icons in Gwenview toolbar
From:       Michael Rudolph <michael.rudolph () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-02-21 13:34:08

On Thursday 21 February 2008 13:49:50 Mikołaj Machowski wrote:
> I don't like idea of magnetic slider. It will make impossible to set
> zoom factors like 98 or 101% . Yeah, they can be used.
>

> m.

Hello Mikołaj,

I beg to differ. If the ultimate goal in software design is to create
tools to aid users in their day-to-day work, and not toys to help them
waste their time, then we will eventually have to make the switch and
create software that is able to translate from a human beings mental
model of a task to how this is represented in a computer. Currently
users have to do the translation theirselves. So instead of
saying: "zoom in and let me inspect this detail" or "zoom out and give
me an overview" users have to translate this into how a
computer "thinks" of zooming.

I'd gladly learn of new use cases where exact zoom levels are useful,
but until then I'd object your assertion.

michael