List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: icons on buttons
From:       Matt Blissett <matt () blissett ! me ! uk>
Date:       2008-01-13 1:10:29

Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:

> On Saturday 12 January 2008 12:00:23 Hans Chen wrote:
>> Personally I like this feature. Although the argument "Windows and Mac OS
>> X don't have it" isn't valid (in my opinion) this could be a reason to
>
> That was never my argument.  Using icons on buttons is not a new idea and
> has been abandoned by many designers as unnecessary in a well-designed
> interface.

It would be interesting to know why it was abandoned.  I find the icons
useful -- if I see the green tick or the red cross on a dialog I don't
bother to read the text.

(In a different branch of this thread) Kåre Särs wrote:
| The main reason I see to have icons on buttons is to add color to the UI.
| (besides OK and Cancel buttons seldom lack horizontal screen space)

I agree!  But maybe adding colour is also adding clutter.

>> investigate further. For now I don't see this as a problem as you can
>> disable it.
>
> The issue isn't whether or not to remove the feature, but what should be
> default.  Since there are more cons than pros to having them on there,
> icons on buttons (IMPO) should be disabled by default.

Cons:
- take up space on the button
(so make the buttons bigger!)
- screen junk/clutter
(so use icons sparingly, not just because we can)

Pros:
- icons are quickly recognised
- colourful.  If the main buttons have icons they get the user's attention

--
Matt B