List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-10-24 5:36:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 23 October 2007, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Robert Knight wrote:
> >> I have never run a whole KDE session as root.
> >
> > Indeed.  I think I recall an old version of Mandriva which started a
> > special KDE session with a bright red background that had a large bomb
> > on it if you tried to do this.  This was supported by a message box
> > which warned about dire risks should you do any network-related
> > activity whilst logged on as root.
>
> Is there really any difference between opening an X session as root and
> opening Konqueror as root in a user X session?  You can still screw
> things up just the same.

it's the same difference as logging in as root on the console or logging in as
a user and su[do]'ing to root only as necessary. openning your entire session
as root is folly as you easily end up with things that reach out onto the
network running as root, for one obvious answer.

(to be perfectly honest, we should never be running any UI as root, but we're
not quite there technologically. getting closer by the year though. =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se