List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Name of Control Center in KDE 4
From:       Emil =?UTF-8?B?S2FybMOpbg==?= <emilkarlen () aim ! com>
Date:       2007-10-21 7:58:01

James Richard Tyrer wrote:

> Emil Karlén wrote:
>> I vote for "Settings central" (or "Settings Central") too.
>> "settings" is the word used by both the desktop environment and
>> applications. "central" indicates that many kinds of settings are
>> managed. No word that might exclude any kind of settings is used. Maybe
>> this could be a problem, if people think that even application settings
>> can be managed. But I think (pure speculations, though) that if people
>> see a "Settings" menu in the application, that's where they will look
>> for "application settings".
>> And it rings nice in my ears too :)
>
> Why would: "Settings Manager" be a better choice?

Sorry, don't understand this. Did you mean "Settings central", or have I
missed something?

However ...

> So, we need to be consistent.  And here it must be noted that having an
> executable called "systemsettings" is not consistent with our past
> practice.  The name of the executable for the Control Center is:
> "kcontrol" it is the "Name" is "Control Center".  This is not in the
> executable but rather in the 'desktop' file.
>
> So, we can settle half of this right away by calling the executable:
> "ksettings" which is a better name than "kcontrol".
>
> Then we could work on the other issue: what to use for the "Name" that
> the GUI will display.  Here we should try to make the names consistent
> with each other.  I notice that we have:
>
> Package Manager
> User Manager
>
> so it would be consistent to have:
>
> Settings Manager

I like this argument, "Settings Manager" is a good name if we have
other "Managers".

> We also have:
>
> SysV-Init Editor
>
> but I don't like:
>
> Settings Editor

Neither do I. In my ears, "editing" is what you do with "documents".
But "settings" are "managed", "customised" or "configured" ...
Maybe this is a good distinction to try to stick to.

By the way "SysV-Init Editor" is a horrible name. How many users know
what "SysV" means???

/Emil