List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Dolphin
From:       Iñaki_Baz_Castillo <ibc.listas () aliax ! net>
Date:       2007-10-09 21:52:51

El Miércoles, 10 de Octubre de 2007, Rafael Fernández López escribió:

> > A default Kubuntu distrib (for example) will never provide Nautilus as
> > a second choice file manager, and when a user will open its home
> > folder, Dolphin will display it, so Dolphin will be the current "File
> > Manager" of the user's system.
>
> It is not a matter of providing as "by default". A user of kubuntu is as
> free as run "apt-get install nautilus" as a ubuntu user. Doing an initial
> choice should _never_ determine you for your choices.

Sincerely: have you ever seen a Windows common user installing and using a
file manager (different from the Windows Explorer)?

If a user knows that there are more file manager apps then he is not
a "common" user, and if in fact he wants to install and use other fiel
manager then, definitively, he is **never** a common user and he'll have no
problem because a "generic" name.

The question is:

A user get a new computer with KDE distro installed. He starts it and wants to
create a document. Do you really think he could find the file manager if he
just sees "Dolphin"? Sure not, it would be really easier if he see a "home"
icon and the text "file manager" or "documents" as label.

Sometimes we want to offer "a lot" of free, but in fact what we get is
confusion. Offer a good default settings with intuitible icon and names, and
always let the user to install new applicacionts if he prefers them. But
don't include analogous and redundant apps in the same distro, and don't
use "private" names (as "Dolphin") for core SO parts.

Just my opinion. Best regards.

--
Iñaki Baz Castillo