List:       kde-usability
Subject:    The fonts control panel
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2007-09-09 10:54:23

Hi all,
since the release date is lingering, and I have the impression the control
panels have not been reviewed/updated for HIG compliance, I started looking
at the fonts control panel for possible work.

I'm not sure on what the final hig is however.

The techbase articles suggest to use tabs for optoin grouping, and in fact, I
think in this case the main page should be about font selection, and another
tab ("Advanced"?) could be for the antialias/DPI settings.

In this case, I would roll the hinting- antialias sub-dialog in the same page.

The other issue I have is with terminology: it is probably better not to use
terms like antialiasing in a panel like this. I think GNOME uses Font
smoothing in its panel, and maybe we can agree with this ourseves.

A problem I have is how are the widgets supposed to be aligned.

In some place I have found that the labels are supposed to be right aligned
(easy to do) and that the label should be before the checkbox (harder to do,
since the widget has its own label).

Luciano