List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Re: close all tabs
From:       jos () mijnkamer ! nl
Date:       2007-05-12 8:12:29

On 5/11/07, Risto Saukonpää <paristo@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think there is problem with right side "close current / active
> > > tab" button. By default it close active one and my suggested option
> > > would close all others than active one, this shouldn't be problem
> > > because button is linked to active tab like, "keep this and close
> > > others" and "close this and keep others".
> > >
> > > I added mockup as attachment.
> > >
> > > I'm sorry if i have forgetten that this has already discusted here.
> > >
> > > ps. sorry bad english
> >
> > Afaik, the other tabs part has been changed, to not show all other
> > windows, only the close and reload all tabs button. Maybe they can go
> > back to the normal submenu - in any case, I think this has been
> > solved. I wonder if your mockup adds anything...
>

> I'm sorry that i respond now so much later.
>
> One of my reasons for this "close all others than active tab" button
> option could be used all other places than konqueror itself too.

There are two ways in which this is possible. One is to have a
library-solution, where tis would be default or at least available on
a tab bar. I'm not sure if that is very usefull, and it's too late to
add such stuff to the KDE libraries for 4.0 anyway. Might be usefull
for 4.1, though.
Second is to do it separately in each app. I'm (again) not sure how
usefull it is, a right-menu option would work as well - this isn't
something you're doing all day. But it's very likely application
developers would accept a patch, though they might not be willing to
spend their own time on it (they sure have other things to do).

> Konversation user could easily close all other channels than active one.
> Kopete user could close all other tabs than active one (i usually have
> 3-4 tab).
>
> Ktorrent separates searches to tabs by default and there isn't menu for
> right click. Only way to close tab is make it active and click "close"
> button on right side or press ctrl+W. And there is no option to close
> all other tabs than active one. This seems to be only ktorrent problem
> but my idea could add there help if those use same button as konqueror?
>
> Akregator opens links to tabs and even there only way to close tabs is
> ctrl+W or that small button on right side and no way to close all
> others than RSS feedlist.
>
> When Akregator has opened links to tabs. Close tab -button is active
> only when any other tab is active than feedlist and this could be
> problem, because it shows easily that you cant close that tab but only
> others. My idea couldn't be added to that button if there is no way to
> get user understand there is that option to close all other linktabs
> than feedlist. Mayby then just change that disabled button to other
> what could be only that "close all other tabs"?
>
> On konqueror current way is working great because that "close active
> tab" button is disabled only when there is one tab and tab row is
> visible.
>
> And there is many KDE software what use tabs and have this small button
> on right side of tab bar.
>
> I think this should be somehow to be made work with all KDE software so
> all works more like others, and it might be only up for software
> developers to add "close all other tabs" option to right click.

Third way, now I come to think off it, would be to add this to the
HIG, you might discuss it with the ppl working on it (though they
should read this list, rigt?)