List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Hierarchical Menu Discussion
From:       Wladimir Schaefer <intruderkw () mail ! ru>
Date:       2007-04-15 14:42:50

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2007 schrieb Jacob Beauregard:

> KDE also has its own way of handling overflowing menus right now where it
> just makes a new column. However, there are reasons it would make more
> sense to have overflowing menus handled by scrolling. I also wonder what
> happens when the number of columns overflows (doubt anything).
So, I can say what happens, nothing good happens, I see that each day I use
KNotes, I have a lot of notes and if the list is too long then there are just
not all notes to see and that sucks, no scrollbar, there is nothing you can
do, the only way to solve that is to watch for a count of notes that you
have, or, as a bad option, to start Kontact where you can see all your notes.
The same thing happens if there are too much Bookmarks, there are just not all
of them to see and no way to fix it except to make subdirs.

> Solution/Clarification: The user would have to intentionally expand a
> submenu. With the mouse, this would imply clicking the submenu item.
Click, click, click, click, click...your left hand is on the mouse, you start
to feel it...like a windozoid, it starts.....aaaand your brains goes
tooo...TRASH!!!

Sorry for that small joke, but...

> It would probably make sense to have scrolling menus (caused by expanding
> submenus inline), but there are also circumstances where that wouldn't make
> sense (total visibility). I'd hate seeing menus in KDE turn into the
> wretched GTK combo box.
> I think, pretty much, what I'm trying to use as a model for potentially
> another option for hierarchical K-Menu style menus (and it would probably
> make sense to use it as the default) is the KDE Control Center (kcontrol)
> sidebar.
After all I think that normal right side menus are good and shouldn't be
changed in general app menu, just one thing to pay attention for, old rule
for developerrs: Make not more then two submenu levels and watch for the menu
size, too long menus are bad. You can make global forbiddance for more then
three submenu levels in KDELIBs. But that is good just for normal menus. What
should we do with things like bookmarks and other long listed menus....? A
scrollbar, but where? If it would be from left then there is a danger to go
to submenu each time you want to scroll, but if there are no submenus then it
is fine. A possibility is a blank menu entry field with a small down arrow at
the botton of tho too long list like in M$Windows and GTK apps, it is not
really a solution, I think, but at least that or a scrollbar is better than
nothing.

A new concept? There is just one thing I've seen, it is in picasa, a scrollbar
that scrolls faster if you move it along from a point. I hope you all have
understood:))

A new concept of hierarchical Menu?...It's difficult to forget old things, we
can combine old things like scrollbar and normal menu, but it's not a really
new concept...We can make KDE better and more usable with that what we have.
And new concepts will come whith the time, but not in KDE3.