List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New RecipientsPicker in kmail (KDE4)
From:       Ellen Reitmayr <ellen () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-03-12 11:55:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Mathias,

I much like that you split the major actions (mark as to/cc/bcc) from dialog
confirmation (that's what we've ever asked for, hehe). But i think locating
them at the same level as the "support" actions (search and address book) is
not a good idea. In the screenshot, mark as to/cc/bcc seem to refer to the
search rather than the list items.

Usually when we have a list in KDE and actions that refer to single list items
the buttons are either positioned right to the list (e.g. Kmail Settings >
Identities) or below the list (e.g. Korganizer > new event > attachments).

Even better would be direct interaction by clicking into a table cell and
thereby changing the status. The only problem I see here is that three
sensitive cells next to each other are difficult to hit with the mouse.
Cycling the status (1st click to, 2nd cc, 3rd bcc, 4th nothing) is not really
fast and intuitive.

So i'd suggest to move the buttons below the list.

@Info in the tooltip: I like that you provide more information :) However, I
think to really make the recipient picker beneficial compared to text
completion in the composer, the search should do more than just searching
names. Consider to provide a 2nd search option "Any field contains", so
people can search for company, job description etc. The result of the search
may be visualised in a tooltip to keep the number of columns concise.

Ah, and what I missed in the previous version of the dialog and what still
isn't there is a category selection.

Thanks for informing us about your work!
Ellen

On Sunday 11 March 2007 23:54, Mathias Soeken wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have changed the recipients dialog and because this dialog was created in
> collaboration with the KDE Usability Group, I send this mail to
> kde-usability, too. Screenshots of the changed recipients dialog can be
> seen at http://www.tzi.de/~msoeken/recipientspicker/.
>
> Best regards,
> Mathias

> Date: Sunday 11 March 2007
> To: kde-pim@kde.org
>
> Hello,
>
> I talked about this topic few weeks ago and now I want to show some
> screenshots of current development. I am porting the RecipientsPicker to
> KDE4. First I only wanted to port the K3ListView to the new model/view
> framework in Qt4. But then I thought about implementing wishes from
> bugs.kde.org, too. Further, I implemented some ideas of the thread, which I
> mentioned above.
>
> You can see some screenshots http://www.tzi.de/~msoeken/recipientspicker/
>
> My question is, whether I can commit this. Perhaps there are some more
> ideas or things that should be changed before committing. For example I
> have no idea, whether the icons are intuitive or not.
>
> Best regards,
> Mathias

Ellen Reitmayr
KDE Usability Project