List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Designing improved character selector
From:       Daniel Laidig <d.laidig () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-03-04 10:36:44

On Friday 02 March 2007 21:05, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> wait; a script can contain 1 or more blocks, with non-script-specific
> blocks (e.g. notational symbols) being essentially presentable as "scripts"
> as well, correct?

No, at least not the scripts that the unicode data files and gucharmap use.

http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Scripts.txt
http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/Blocks.txt

Scripts don't contain blocks. For example, both U+0020 (Space) and U+0041 (A)
are in the block "Basic Latin". However, U+0020 is in the script "Common" and
U+0041 in the script "Latin".

> so... how about this:
>
> Font: [             ]  Script: [                   ] Block: [
>  ]
>
> with the block combo showing the blocks associated with the given script,
> as listed here:
>
> 	http://unicode.org/charts/

I really like this idea. These are more categories than scripts as in the data
files, but there should be no reason not to use these categories.

I've sorted all blocks into 14 categories:

European Alphabets
African Scripts
Middle Eastern Scripts
Indic Scripts
Philippine Scripts
South East Asian Scripts
East Asian Scripts TODO: Sort
Central Asian Scripts
Other Scripts
Symbols
Mathematical Symbols
Phonetic Symbols
Combining Diacritical Marks
Other

This should be OK for displaying in a combo box.

Now, with you suggestions on IRC the selector looks like this:
http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/657/kcharselectmockup6ya9.png

IMHO this is the best mockup so far. Opinions?

I will decide on the search options later when I have the possibility to test
what's useful.

Daniel