List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: A suggestion
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-03-01 12:41:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On 3/1/07, Ben Aceler <aceler@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of the linux distro have its own configuration tools like DrakConf,
> YaST
> and so on. Why not make a standard plug-in API for the KDE control center
> for
> all of this configuration utilities with one authentication mechaninsm?

What exactly do you mean? Should WE (eg KDE) integrate these apps in
Kcontrol, or should we provide an API for these to integrate in Kcontrol?
The latter more or less already exists, and YaST already does integrate in
Kcontrol... Guidance, the configuration tools for Kubuntu also could be
integrated in Kcontrol (and ARE integrated in Kubuntu's kcontrol replacement
'system settings').

Have a look at ksmshell, you can easilly create your own kcontrol
replacement. Using kparts etcetera makes building a ksm module for settings
easy, and I guess distributions could do that (Suse did). They just don't
want to.