List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KPresenter redesign and mockup
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-21 4:05:55

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On February 20, 2007, Will Hardy wrote:
> I have written some accompanying notes in HTML which explain some of
> the issues that I think should be attacked and have also included a
> PyQt4 mockup. I do not pretend to be a Qt/C++ developer, but

very cool. i say: go for it.

as someone who does a few presentations ;) here are my big gripes, needs and
wants with presentation software:

- the ability to go from outline to presentation (you seem to have that mostly
covered?)
- the ability to use a template for the slides, and then change it later
without messing with the content
- ability to add media (video, etc)
- ability to add a few words or bullet points, preferably by tagging things in
the outline / notes (it's not always possible to get away with just pictures;
this is particularly true since i often present about writing software and
therefore want to show code snippets)
- be able to see my notes on screen while the presentation projects (e.g. if
in xinerama mode with 2 screens, very common with laptops)

rich text for hand-outs is fairly necessary, but that can be done with a word
processor, particularly if you can get the "associate it with a document"
concept working. that would be very cool, and would be a great use case for
the ODF library the koffice people have started tinkering with.

best of all, your app would be quite a bit simpler to write (even in C++ ;)
than a power-point style presenter.

kdissert is close to what i want, the beamer thing is pretty neat too,
kpresenter is what i tend to use because it produces slides that i can easily
modify / tweak ... but i'd love to use an app like yours.

some comments on the mock-up:

the section / overview area wasn't very obvious (at least to me). it took a
bit to figure out where that was. perhaps if it was a ribbon across the whole
area?

the display of widgets on mouse over of the slide was also a bit surprising.

i'm still not perfectly clear what the relationship is between the two text
boxes; i'm guessing one is one line item per slide, and one is details for
that slide? it would be a nice touch to have a marker next to the bullet
point that currently viewing slide is associated with; perhaps instead of the
next slide buttons one could simply click in the margin area where the arrow
is to move between slides?

and if the goal is to keep concentration on the text rather than the slide,
perhaps it would make sense to have the slide at the bottom instead of the
top?

you know, the more i look at it the more this looks kind of like kjots with
the ability to associate a visual (the slide) with each page and a
presentation mode =)

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se