List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KListView, Dolphin and usability
From:       "Peter Penz" <peter.penz () gmx ! at>
Date:       2007-02-14 10:23:28

Hi Rafael,

> Peter, hovering is "easy" indeed I think. I don't know anything about
> previews... maybe I should take a look. What are the issues with
> selections and drag&drop ?

I think my original mail was a little bit unclear in this case; sorry for this. With \
"issues for selections and drag&drop" I meant especially the handling of the current \
QTreeView when using the "Details View" in Dolphin.

Please let me explain: currently it is not possible to drop an item into a "Details \
View" (implemented as QTreeView), if a vertical scrollbar is shown. This is because \
there is no "viewport" area visible anymore. In the KDE3 versions of Dolphin and \
Konqueror both applications have adjusted the "Details View" in a way that only the \
icon + name are a valid selection area, whereas the rest of the line acts as \
viewport. This behavior of the "Details View" is also used in the Windows Explorer \
and I think is quite common.

But for this behavior it is very important to give the user a visual hover feedback \
what is the target of his drop operation (viewport or file/directory).

Now from an implementation point of view it is not clear for me whether this can be \
achieved by the KFileItemDelegate implementation or whether there is a need for \
having a KTreeView. I trust here on Fredriks point of view very much as I think he \
has already a clear vision how to solve those kind of issues.

So my concern is just if we concentrate now on categories by implementing a custom \
KListView, that we might lose the focus to have unified behavior for "Icons View" \
(implemented by QListView/KListView) and "Details View" (implemented by QTreeView).

So if possible I think we should concentrate on those things first (even if they are \
easy to implement like hover) to get an indication in which direction we might go \
when implementing categories later.

Best regards,
Peter